Tuesday, July 10, 2007

My doctor's story

It was a sobering story. Last week my doctor friend told me about Don, who was 58. Don worked hard and saved $5M - a real accomplishment. Don said $5M wasn't quite enough, telling my doctor friend that he aimed to continue working to make $3M more before retiring. Not long after that conversation Don died suddenly from a heart attack.

This loss greatly impacted my doctor friend. He had a long conversation with his wife about it. Since then, he's made peace with God and himself about his friend's death. He's decided that the $2M he and his wife have saved so far is enough. They decided together to enjoy what they've worked together to build over the years: a family, 8 grandkids and a thriving professional practice.

My doctor friend decided to back off his prior work intensity and to have fun at work. He aims to do work projects he enjoys part-time, easier work for the people he's served for 30 years. Now he'll hand off more challenging jobs to the professional he trained in-house for eleven years. She's bought the practice. She now pays her prior boss a commission for his work.

This doc and I were kids together - neighbors on the same street. His decisions to back off the long hard work and his new peace with God, his wife and himself make me feel glad. Although Don's loss is sad, his death helped the doc wake up - and to put the love of money in its proper place. Money can't give life. Only God can do that.

At the same time, financial responsibility is important in everyday life. I want my faith in God to intersect with my everyday work and my financial responsibilities. I'm trusting my Father God to provide opportunities for gainful employment. I'm not sitting back and hoping for heavenly checks to arrive in the mail!

Does your work connect with God's abundance for things you need? If so, how do you do that?
- Dr. M

1 comment:

Unknown said...

God is so good! Joyce, I love it that you post true stories. This story really helps build my faith in the fact that prayers are always heard and give us what we need (when we truly believe God will answer them)!