Wednesday, July 25, 2007

God and Todd, age 4

Some say the Bible is mostly myth, while others build their lives on it. Whichever you choose, "God's say so" reveals truth about life and living - it can be treasured and left on the shelf, steadfastly denied, or it can be received daily as living bread from which to grow wise.

At age 4, Todd found himself regularly learning what God says. Todd was beginning to put his own words to what he was understanding from his Bible lessons. Since Todd's Mom and Dad were divorced and had been for nearly two years, Todd had some gritty family issues to consider.

One evening at dinner with his Dad and brother, Todd bluntly asked, "Is Mommy going to go to Heaven with us, or is she going to burn forever in the Lake of Fire?"

His Dad, surprised by the depth of his question, replied, "Well Todd, I really don't know whether Mommy is going to heaven with us. I don't know if your Mommy believes God's Word."

"Well, I sure hope she comes to Heaven with us," Todd asserted, "I really don't want her to burn in the Lake of Fire!"

Dad, while privately noting his questionable attitude toward his ex-wife, said, "Todd, I hope she comes to Heaven with us too. Let's pray and ask God's blessing on her right now." So they prayed right then and there - praying that Todd and Geoff's Mommy would come to know the Lord Jesus Christ personally, and that through Him God would guide and protect her life.

Would you believe the very next week Todd's Mommy asked Jesus Christ to save her from the Lake of Fire? She received Him as Lord of her life. This is amazing to me even today because I'm Todd's Mommy.

This story is true because it's my story; one I share with my family (Todd's Dad and I were remarried the following year!) and now I share it with you. Now you know me and how God has worked in my life.

Normally, who'd think that "God's say so" spoken to a 4 year old about "the Lake of Fire" would have such a profound impact upon the destiny of an adult? Just for fun, here's a picture of Todd and his family now. How time flies!

If you'd like to know more, I'd enjoy hearing from you! ~ Dr. M

1 comment:

GFMLaw said...

I'm grateful you've retold the story so beautifully. It encourages me to remember always to believe the Word, and so to act and speak; for the effectiveness of the Word of God is not measured by the effectiveness of the believer, but by the power of God. What a difference it has made; more than we can think or imagine!
- with all love, Todd's Dad